The effects of visible and non-visible light on the human body are increasingly known and their application in the medical and paramedical fields is developing strongly.However, a good knowledge of the physiological effects of light and a perfect mastery of the design of optical systems are essential to create efficient products from a spectral and energy point of view.
With their experience in creating optical illumination systems using LEDs or laser diodes (UV, VIS, IR) and the high-level technical means at their disposal, PISEO experts support you in developing systems optimized formedical and paramedical applications.
Phototherapy, unlike light therapy, is a treatment that uses visible and non-visible optical radiation from light (UVA, UVB, near infrared) to produce effects on human tissue.Its applications are numerous: cancer treatment, psoriasis, eczema, infant jaundice, ophthalmology … The light sources used for these treatments can be of the laser, laser diode or LED type.
Within the framework of this project, we worked on a product intended to accelerate the cicatrization of the skin thanks to a targeted optical radiation in visible and near infrared and functioning autonomously by use of a battery.In particular, we have optimized the optical coupling between the LEDs and the light guide to significantly improve the radiation on the skin and the autonomy of the device.
To carry out a critical analysis of the construction of the system, quantify and improve energy efficiency and radiation effect by optimizing the integration of the LED light sources.
- Critical analysis of the existing system (performance, construction, LED components).
- Integration of product architecture in ZEMAX OpticStudio and simulation of optical performance.
- Consolidation of performance objectives (spectral distribution and irradiation level) to be achieved in relation to physiological needs.
- Optical System Redesign by use of ZEMAX OpticStudio: System Efficiency multiplied by 3 as a result.
- Support for the realization of the prototype.
- Characterization of optical performances in PISEO’s photometric test lab (irradiance, spectral power distribution, energy) by means of a large spectral band Instrument Systems spectroradiometer CAS 140D (300nm-1100nm)